** Video, at the bottom of post **
We were only 380nm to Little San Salvador Island. The winds were predicted to subside a little bit and possibly to almost a dead calm. If this was to happen, we would end up running the engine for a day or two, until the wind fills in again. We wanted to conserve some fuel if this was to happen, so we ran the generator today to charge the batteries rather than using the engine. We ended up not needing to run the motor, the wind kept up, and even increased, we sailed the front all the way to the Bahamas. In the end we only used about 60 litres or about 15 gallons of fuel, and about 1/4 of the water we hold during the whole delivery. Hey you can’t shower in these conditions! We did clean up a few times!
SPOT CONNECT Messenger. – “BD 380 kn to Salvador running genset save fuel.”
SPOT CONNECT Messenger. – “All is OK, Crew, Boat, But Weather is heavy 20+ knots, waves 10 feet+“
Just completed a 200nm / 370km day in 24 hours.
SPOT CONNECT Messenger. – “Just completed 200 kn or 370km in 24 hours“
We are averaging 8.5 knots, surfing 10-15 knots today, on the whole delivery we averaged about 7 knots. This is very typical for my boat on my offshore passages. My record daily distance record is 250nm / 450km in one 24 hour day. Not bad for a sail boat ehh!
SPOT CONNECT Messenger. – “Land Fall in the morning – Lord willing.“
Here is a note, written by Roxanne to the wives of the crew, updating them on the trip to this point….
I spoke to Ed earlier this evening (Thurs, On Sat Phone), and Black Diamond was approximately 80 miles from Little San Salvador (aka Half Moon Cay). They were surfing down waves in 25-30 kts of wind. With a double reef in, they are trying to slow down slightly, in order to ensure they arrive at the anchorage after sunrise.
They will wait for Fortune’s Favour to arrive (approx. 9PM?), then after a couple hours of rest, Ed and Paul have agreed that it would be best to leave for George Town, late Friday evening. The plan is to arrive in George Town, Saturday, during daylight as navigation into Elizabeth Harbour is tricky.
A little fishing before land fall at Little San Salvador aka Half Moon Cay!
As we neared Little San Salvador in the morning before land fall, it was a beautiful day, and the wind was perfect. We were sailing with a single reef in the main, doing about 6 knots of boat speed. Archie, threw out the fishing rod, and immediately hooked on a fish. We did not want to slow down as we were eager for land fall after a week at sea. He was fighting a large Mahi Mahi, but at 6 knots we lost it. You need to slow right down, and even back down on it, not something we can do with sails up. Archie tried again, and immediately got another bite, we saw the Mahi fighting back and jumping. Lost it too! After the third cast, three bites, three lost fish and two lost lures, we decided to give up. Later I found out that this is probably the Bahamas’ best fishing spot! The edge of the Ocean with a large drop in depth from 50 feet to over 5,000 feet. I now wish, we had stopped the boat, and did some fishing!
This is a shot of a Mahi Mahi caught on a previous trip on Black Diamond.
** Video **Link of a Mahi hauled in by Archie, delivery of Sea Light, From BVI to NYC.