October 1st, 2016, Hurricane Matthew cometh. Which became a CAT 5 hurricane, while were relocating Black Diamond. The boat was in Freeport, Bahamas at the time, and Hurricane Matthew was barreling down right for her. We had a hurricane plan in Freeport, and pre-paid for a haulout and strap down on the hard. But we thought the better plan might be to relocate her out of harm’s way. The full story is unravelled in this video. You will also see how we prepared the boat for a potential near pass of Hurricane Matthew.
UPDATE: Just got word this morning from the Marina yard in Freeport Bahamas, where the boat was. This is where we had a hurricane plan, we would have been hauled out and strapped down to concrete. 20 boats that were hauled out and strapped, toppled over, 2 boats lost their mooring and thrown on the rocks, 1 boat sank and part of the marina hotel roof was ripped off. I am saddened to hear the news for the good people of this hotel & marina. They were very good to us.
However, sometimes sticking with the insurance plan with a $25,000 deductible is not the best idea, if the plan sees the eye of a CAT 3-4 passing right through.
Honestly, we are not that smart. But thankfully, we had a divine plan, as we were already scheduled, plane tickets purchased, and on our way to move the boat to Miami for a race in November. When we arrived the news on the hurricane was heightened. We decided to stick to our plan, as the forecast showed only 10% chance of hitting Miami at the time.
If the hurricane forecast would have changed, and was heading towards Miami, we would have jumped back on the boat, and headed North on the Gulf Stream, we would be making good speed of 10-12 knots in the stream, back to Freeport in 12 hours or further East to the Abacos.
Nonetheless, We are thankful the way things worked out, praise the Lord.
PHOTO: NOT of the exact Marina, but a depiction of what it might look like. These are boats on the hard, that had also toppled over.