Day 11 – Sailing at Haverstraw on the Hudson.


Drone Video shot: Oct 17th 2017.

Sept 1-2nd, 2008

Roxane and boys flew out this morning on a 9:30AM flight. I escorted them to a taxi that was waiting outside the marina at 5:30AM, and sent them on their way. They had no trouble at all, it was about a 1.5 hour drive to JFK Airport and a 1 hour flight to Buffalo airport. My brother met them there, and drove them to the mini van that was left at PCYC.

Today I was meeting some good friends and clients that live in New Jersey, they drove out to the marina for a fun filled day of sailing. The Zuidema’s have 4 boys, 3 of which came out with mom and dad, Mary and Dave, Seth 12 years old, Caleb 15 and Dave jr 26.

We set out on the river in front of Haverstraw, this part of the river opens up very wide, it is more like a nice sized lake in this area. We set both sails, and the wind actually picked up to over 22 knots. We were sailing, and sailing fast about 8 knots, Dave jr said he never experienced anything like it, he only saw this in movies, Dave sat on the rail with the rest of the boys, not too soon after Mary joined them. Dave Senior was not too sure what to think of all this, since he is a little afraid of the water. Dave must of asked a dozen times, where are the life jackets again?

After sailing around the lake dodging barges for a couple of hours, we tucked ourselves behind a nice peninsula, where about 30-40 power boats were anchored. Here we were pretty protected from the winds, but I wanted to get a little closer so we would be out of the wind. The depth read 8-9 feet, so we dropped anchour. I was so excited to be out sailing again after so many days on the boat, and unable to sail. I felt like I was back home on Lake Ontario again, that I completely forgot about the tides. (More drama to come on this subject.)

We fired up the BBQ, and enjoyed hot dogs, burgers and anything else we could find on the boat. (Roxane said I had to get rid of everything in the fridge.) The boys went swimming in the Hudson right off the swim platform. Dave was a little sea sick, so he went down for a nap. I asked Mary if he was enjoying himself, she assured me he was, this is the way he likes to spend his day off, sleeping!

After a few hours being anchored out, we decided to pull up the anchor and head back to the marina. Well so much for that plan, the tide had started to go out, and we were stuck in the muck pretty good. The dept was 5 feet and dropping, the bulb on the end of the keel was in 1.5 feet of mud. There was no options but to wait out the tide, it would not be high tide again until past mid night. With time to kill, Mary and I jumped in for a swim, and I wanted to check out just how stuck we were. I reported that we were not going anywhere too soon. So the two older boys decided they would swim to the end of the peninsula. Not long after they left, a police boat came by to ask if we were ok. I said we were fine, and I would wait out the tide, but asked if they would not mind dropping my friends off at the Marina. They kindly agreed, but not before having to pick up the boys on land, and off they were.


Our friends the Zuidemas taken ashore by Police boat.

Our friends the Zuidemas taken ashore by Police boat.

I actually had a very pleasant night waiting for the tide. I sat out in the afternoon sun, and waited for the tide to completely go out and come back again. The water depth went to as low as 4 feet, so 2.5 feet of the keel was in the mud, but the boat remained up right. I then enjoyed a BBQ steak, and some left over pasta. I watched the sun set, listen to some music, and watch the boats go by. At about 9PM the boat started drifting it was free! I started the motor, and continued to head down the river.

My next stop was Peterson’s Boat Yard, just north of the Tappanzee Bridge NY. I arrived there at about 10:00PM, and caught a mooring for the night, more on this to come!

s/v Black Diamond

I have been boating for over 25 years, at the age of 43, this is more than half of my life time. Starting out with a number of smaller power boats, then switching to sail about 8 years ago. I have sailed various boats from wind surfers, dinghies (lasers), keel boats from 26 to 45 foot yachts. I live in the area of Toronto Canada and sail mostly on Lake Ontario. I have been racing yachts for the past 7 years. I have also entered many long distance races such as the Fort Lauderdale to Charleston, completed in 2 days 8 hours, we received 4th place in division, 8 minutes in PHRF behind a 3rd place trophy. Then 4 times finishing the Susan Hood, a 75 mile over night race, 4 times entered in the Lake Ontario 300 the worlds longest fresh water race, a 308 knotical mile race around the perimeter of Lake Ontario. My crew and I on Black Diamond finished in 2 days 12 hours in 2009. In 2009, delivering the boat back up to Canada from the Bahamas we entered in a couple of interesting races, one from Fort Lauderdale to Charleston described as a sled ride up the gulf stream, the Charleston race week regatta series and the New Year's Day Staniel Cay Regatta in the Exumas, Bahamas. This race we came in 2nd over entire fleet, only lost by 3 minutes in a 2 hour race to a 47 footer. This was a boat for boat race, no PHRF scoring. "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So cast off the bowline, Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain Blue water experience include yacht deliveries from the Abacos, Bahamas to Charleston South Carolina 2006. This delivery was a non-stop, 3 and half days, total of 500 miles. We crossed parts of the Bermuda Triangle, and during most of the delivery were over 200 miles offshore. The delivery of Black Diamond a 40 foot Jeanneau racer/cruiser has been delivered to New York City and then offshore to Florida and the Bahamas from Toronto, Canada. This delivery from NYC to Florida was completed 100 miles offshore, for a distance of over a 1000 miles non-stop to Jacksonville, Florida. Completed in what might be a cruisers record of 5 days 3 hours non-stop offshore. This fall my family and I added another 500 miles of sailing throughout much of the Bahamas. Spending 6 weeks aboard Black Diamond sailing the Abacos, Nassau and the Exumas. I then sailed the boat back to New York, completely offshore, entered a few races along the way, and back to Toronto through the Hudson River and Erie Canal. During the 2009 season, we sailed Black Diamond off the dock 148 different days out of 365, winning the Vacant Dock award the second year in a row. Most recently, 2011, completed the delivery of friends boat Tracey & Nilson Ruiz, from Tortoal, BVI to New York. Tortola to Georgetown Bahamas in 5 days non-stop. Last leg from Charleston to New York over the momorial day long week-end non-stop Friday to Monday in 4 days. All completed safe and sound without incedent. Need any deliveries let me know. I am also an Open Water Certified diver and an active member of the Canadian Power and Sail Squadron, certifications included Power/Sail boat handling, Seamanship Sail, Piloting/charting, GPS Navigation, Extended Offshore Cruising and a VHF Radio operation license. I hope to further my education, qualifications and experience in long distance cruising and racing. One of my goals is to obtain a commercial Captains License. Feel free to contact me at [email protected]

You may also like...

1 Response

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow Me