Black Diamond a 2008 Jeanneau 39i Performance Sailboat
Black Diamond was our cruise boat from new. We loved the boat, and much of this blog is when we cruised The Great Lakes, US East Coast, Florida and The Bahamas for 8 years before we sold the boat. We kept these specs of the boat on this page, for those that may be interested.
A 2008 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 39i Performance
This is not the 39DS or 39i but the upgraded 39i Performance version
In the below descriptions * signifies non standard feature that was an upgrade.
• Cruise Ready • Offshore Ready • Race Ready
The 2 cabin owner’s version is a sought after layout as it offers a fabulous amount of space for both living and storing gear. The owner’s version boasts a separate shower stall with a linen closet and a workshop style large storage area. The aft cabin is larger in this version than the three cabin version, with a king size bed. This 2 cabin version, sleeps up to 7 people and can accommodate up to 12 for a day sail.
The performance version* provides a taller mast 60’2” with increased sail area, Tri-radial cut Mylar/taffeta sails, plus Black Diamond provides an additional set of racing sails, main & jib, Pentax Silver/grey material, enlarged foot, head and leech for pure sailing performance, with upgraded Dyform® stainless-steel standing rigging, adjustable backstay for performance tuning, Dyneema® running rigging eliminates stretch and slippage, racing furler with twin grove foil and removable drum, genoa cars infinite adjustable from the cockpit, feathering propeller* to reduce drag, performance bulb keel at 6” 6’ draft.
PHRF Rating for SE Florida with Spinnaker 114, PHRF Rating for Great Lakes without Spin 114 happens to be the same, and with Asym Spin 93.
This Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 39i Performance is designed for long distance ocean passages, club racing or family cruising (close to home or in southern latitudes). With all her upgrades, customization, excellent instrument array and navigation package she is easily handled from the cockpit by a single handler. She can go and stay head to wind with the autopilot as you singlehandedly flake the main with the Dutchman system.
Designer: M. Lombard
Keel: Deep 6’ 6” bulb
Hull Shape: beam led well aft for spacious living and stability offshore
Hull Painted: professionally painted Awlgrip black & silver custom paint & graphics. *
LOA: 38’ 11” – basically 39’ less 1” allows exemption from many additional government regulations worldwide
Beam: 12’ 9”
LWL: 35’ 2”
Draft 6’ 6”
Head Room: 6’ 5” – Aft to forward cabin, including in the head & shower.
Mast 60’ 2” with VHF antenna 62’
Displacement: 12,403 lbs
Dry Weight: 15,650 lbs, 1,000lbs lighter than DS version, Bulb is 6,500lbs of this weight, providing excellent stability and righting ability.
Yanmar 40 HP
Year Built: 2008
Engine Model: 3JH4E / inboard
4Kw Latest generation of environmentally friendly engines
Engine/fuel type: diesel
Propeller: Variprop Feathering Folding prop, variable pitch 4 blade *
Prop razor sharp knife installed for cutting away weeds or ropes. *
Upgraded engine fan *
1 year old 180 amp alternator by ElectroMax & Balmar regulator *
Spare 120 amp Balmar alternator, still brand new *
Plus manufacturer spare 60 amp alternator, brand new, never used.
Upgraded serpentine alternator belt system, *
Fully soundproof engine compartment with engine access behind stairwell, also accessible from aft cabin & shower
Stainless steel propeller shaft 30mm diameter
Fuel/water separator, Upgraded Rancor Fuel Filter *
Built-in muffler, forced air ventilation and stainless steel exhaust fitting aft
Special Oil Filter magnet, removes metal fragments from oil. *
Fresh water tanks: 356 liters (80 Gallons)
Hot water tank: 50 liters (11 gallons), heat exchanger = endless hot water
Holding tanks: 80 liters (18 gallons)
Number of double berths: 3
Number of single berths: 1
Number of cabins: 2 private, plus salon has a double & single berth
1 Head + completely separate enclosed shower stall
- Deck: Prisma Process® injected deck, ISO gelcoat surface, discontinuous balsa block coring
- Hull: solid, hand-laid fiberglass, ISO gelcoat surface, protective barrier coat
- Structure: 3rd generation inner fiberglass grid, high-load zones cut out and re-laminated, drainage system through structure, special emergency repair zone in keel area
- 5 coats of barrier epoxy, *
- Fiberglass rudder with solid stainless steel shaft
- Patented self-aligning rudder bearings for lower friction
- Keel professional faired for racing, keel and rudder trailing edge enhancements. *
- Steel custom made cradle for storage on the hard *
- Forward owners cabin with central berth and storage forward of the berth
- Aft cabin, with king size bed
- Both cabins have double berths with wood trim, and high-density foam mattresses 1 year old *
- Deep cabinet with shelves and hanging rod
- Both cabins have custom fans, hard wired, multi speed and sleep timer
- Wood hull liner with storage shelf, vinyl liner above shelf
- Convertible Salon table to a double berth, with cushions. *
- Head compartment aft with sink, separate large shower with glass enclosure, teak seat in shower, upgraded shower head, larger sump pump (a no filter gusher system) and drain switch makes taking a shower a pleasure
- Separate large linen closet, clothes hook, mirror, towel holder, toilet paper holder, wastebasket, cabinet above sink, shower sump with grate and electric drainage pump
- Electric shore power water heater, as well as an engine heat exchanger so you will never run out of hot water
- Galley with double stainless steel sinks with covers and reversible cutting board, Corian synthetic marble countertops, chrome plumbing fittings, storage cabinets and drawers
- L-galley on starboard with glass separator between galley counter and salon seating area
- Gimbaled 2-burner stove with oven, stainless steel protection bar
- 800 watt microwave built-in, runs at anchor on 2,000 watt inverter built-in *
- Fridge box with freezer area, wire baskets, refrigeration with integrated compressor powered by 12v & shore power
- Additional separate Engel freezer, runs on 12v, only ½ amp per hour *
- All plates, cutlery, pots & pans
- Blender runs on inverter or shore power
- Coffee machine runs on inverter or shore power
- Ice machine runs on inverter or shore power
Storage Room & under salon seating storage.
- Teak cockpit floor, seating area, transom and transom steps *
- Twin dual helm stations, leather wrapped wheels
- Twin compasses at each steering position, stainless steel grab rails and repeating instruments
- Twin wheel covers, winch covers and cockpit table cover, *
- Cockpit lockers: 2 lockers under bench seats and 1 lazarette locker under the port helm seat for additional deep storage and technical access to steering system
- Life raft locker compartment located between helm seats
- Cockpit table: folding injection-molded fiberglass table with storage, cup holders, stainless steel handrail, courtesy lighting, 12v plug, also houses chart-plotter, switch for underwater LED blue lighting
- Propane locker located in lazarette locker under starboard helm seat, 2 propane tanks with connection to galley stove with cut-off valve under stove in the galley, 2nd propane tank is for BBQ, or spare tank for stove
- Emergency tiller delivered with the boat, chrome fitting in cockpit floor
- Instrumentation: dedicated space for instruments within easy reach of helm positions, chart-plotter mounted at aft end of cockpit table with easy viewing from each helm
- All Raymarine instruments, repeating at both helm stations
- Raymarine auto pilot controls on starboard
- Engine controls throttle and engine control panel mounted at starboard helm, engine panel includes fuel gauge, RPM gauge, warning lights, ignition
- Swim ladder: stainless steel ladder mounted on transom
- Cockpit shower: retractable hot and cold water shower with tap
- Full enclosure, dodger, bimini, transition, side walls, windows & bug nets *
- Custom cockpit cushions and pillows, and helm seats *
- Cockpit waterproof speakers, 1 year old *
- 12 x Spinlock XTS clutches
- Harken mainsheet track
- 2 speed electric coach house winch used for raising main or dinghy onto deck, can be used by any lines in the cockpit *
- Harken self-tailing winches x 4
- 3 x Spinlock racing winch handles *
Blue Ocean LED lighting system
- Blue LED lighting on spreaders, safety feature & adds luxurious ambiance *
- Blue LED underwater lighting at stern (professional thru-hull installation) *
Deck, Mast & Rigging
- Teak: toe-rails, coach house grab rails and companion way
- Stanchion bases are stainless steel
- Multiple access gates in lifelines
- Selden performance mast
- Dyform® stainless-steel standing rigging
- Dyneema® running rigging (eliminates stretch)
- Bow pulpit: open, stainless steel with teak step, navigation lights and integrated wiring for lights
- Stern pulpits: stainless steel with flag holder, buoy bracket and integrated wiring passage for GPS antenna & satellite weather
- Electric windlass: quick 1000W combination rope and chain, vertical-mounted in the anchor locker, with hand-held remote control for easy handling and setting of the anchors
- Manual handle with swiveling self-launching roller for hands-free launching and retrieving of tackle
- Split adjustable backstay, no obstructions in the cockpit
- Lifelines: 2 stainless steel lifelines, stainless steel stanchions
- Toe-rail: teak profile with 6 integrated stainless steel chocks and drainage for side deck, stainless steel mooring line chafe protectors
- Cleats: 4 x aluminum mooring cleats forward and aft
- Handrails: sculpted, long teak handrails on coach roof for secure movement forward.
- Harken spinnaker shackles & deck mounted stopper cleats for spin sheets when racing *
- 2 sets of 4 additional eyelets installed, one set at bow in front of mast, and one set under boom (can be used for life raft, dinghy or sail storage during passages) *
- Bowsprit for flying asymmetrical spinnakers (removable) includes deck fittings and bow roller fittings *
- Mast track for flying symmetrical spinnakers included
- Infinity adjustable genoa/jib cars
- All sheets, halyards, lines and reefing from cockpit
- Cockpit line management storage system *
- Included are 4 fenders, fender covers, brand new mooring lines
- Electric windlass: Quick 1000W combination rope and chain, vertical-mounted in the anchor locker, with hand-held remote control for easy handling and setting of the anchors
- Ultra anchor 35lb stainless steel, lead ballasted, best anchor in the world, (better than Ronca), 2 years old *
- Anchor: 15lb aluminum Fortress for 40’ boat *
- Ultra twin bridal snubber system, with swivel *
- 2 sets of rode for the anchors – primary 150 chain G4 galvanized high test chain, plus 100 feet of rope rode, 2 years old *
- Secondary rode: 50 foot of chain with 150 foot of rode
- Anchor locker forward, lockable, room for anchor and tackle, integrated windlass area, custom stainless steel shelving for 2 anchors and rode a
- Anchor roller: double roller stainless steel fitting & bow sprit hardware
- Upgraded 12v alternator output: 180amp, plus back up 120amp & 60amp
- Balmar alternator battery charger manager
- Charge distributor/isolator
- Engine start battery capacity, batteries located under aft berths: 110 Ah
- 4 domestic battery bank capacity, AGM sealed batteries located under aft berths: 440 Ah, 2 years old, new AGM batteries installed 2013 *
- High gauge upgraded wiring for battery charging from alternator *
- Custom designed and installed waterproof battery housing and professional battery wiring upgrades and installation *
- 2000 watt inverter by Magnum, with battery manager *
(battery manager computer, equalizes batteries, monitors charging, usage, volts, amp hours in and out and much more, capable of managing generators, solar and wind)
- 110v power outlets in cabins, galley, salon, all live while at anchor, underway or offshore power via the 2,000 watt inverter, which powers microwave, TV, blow dryer, toasters or anything else while off shore power *
- Positive battery switch for engine and domestic bank and general cut-off switch mounted on panel in aft cabin
- Custom battery switch from start to house, for emergencies *
- Electrical panel with 12v breakers, 230v breakers, 12v amp meter,
- 12v consumption meter, 12v charging meter
- 12v plug per cabin and at nav station
- Shore power and upgraded Maxum battery super charger
- DVD player, CD player, AM/FM radio with salon and cockpit speakers
- Air conditioning, heating and dehumidification system, built in *
- 110v water heater with engine heat exchanger
- CO2 Detectors
- Raymarine ST60 tri data, speed, depth, log
- Raymarine ST60 wind, speed and angle
- Repeating on both helms
- Raymarine ST6002 autopilot, oversized for boat, can handle heavy seas.
- Above instrument repeater at helms and autopilot package *
- Raymarine E80 Networkable Chartplotter, with Network Hub. *
- Raymarine remote wireless Smart Pilot *
- DSC VHF radio, with Ram mic in cockpit *
- Electric windless
- Raymarine sonar
- Raymarine digital charts, Great Lakes, East Coast & Bahamas, 3D imagery, aerial photos of harbors, tidal & current flow *
- Raymarine AIS *
- Raymarine satellite weather *
- Raymarine 4k radar dome, with stainless steel rope guards. *
- Raymarine chartplotter repeater & keyboard in salon navigation station, controls chartplotter, and view chartplotter on TV in salon, without having to go up to the cockpit on overnight passages to check AIS, radar, position, anchor alarms (you can also watch movies in the cockpit on night watches) *
- Globex antenna that can tune in up to 150 HD TV Digital Channels *
- iPOD, iPhone stereo hook up
- WiFi booster for Internet onboard, watch Netflix *
- XM satellite radio, pre-paid lifetime membership *
- 20” flat screen TV in salon with professional swivel arm mounts *
Sails and Rigging
- Jeanneau Performance mainsail & jib
- Pentax Grey Silver /Performance main & Jib
- Rod kicker
- Dyneema® running rigging eliminates stretch
- Adjustable backstay
- Jeanneau Stackpack cover
- Additional custom black cover *
- Another custom black cover works with Dutchman flaking system *
- Dutchman flaking system, with a 3rd custom black main sail cover that works with the Dutchman flaking system *
- Check out the Dutchman here https://youtu.be/T8EPkGx3o9Y?t=47s
Working sail area: 829 sq ft standard factory performance suit
Custom racing sails: 970 sq ft upgraded Pentax silver/grey racing suit
- Tri-radial cut Mylar/taffeta jib 329 square feet, offshore rated
- Additional racing jib Pentax silver/grey 110%, Additional 2 feet of depth, sweeps right down to the deck, 390 square fee *
- Tri-radial cut Mylar/taffeta mainsail, fully battened about 500 square feet, offshore cruising rated
- Racing main Pentax silver/grey sail 5 fully battened, with batten cars, with larger leech and head 580 square feet *
- Racing furler system with twin grove foil and removable drum
- Cruising spinnaker, solid black with white diamond design, 3/4 oz, 5 to 15 knot winds, 1,291 square feet *
- Racing light air spinnaker, solid white with sponsor logo designed by Picasso, 1/2 oz, 0 to 10 knot winds, about 1,500 square feet *
- Racing spinnaker, solid white, sponsor logo designed by Picasso, 1 oz, 10 to 20 knot winds, about 1,400 square feet *
All safety gear for racing around the buoys as well as category 1 offshore racing in the Great Lakes and the Atlantic Ocean
The boat has all necessary safety requirements for: category 1 – races of long distance as well as offshore, where yachts must be completely self-sufficient for extended periods of time, capable of withstanding heavy storms and prepared to meet serious emergencies without the expectation of outside assistance. *
- EPIRB Emergency Beacon * • SPOT Satellite tracking *
- Offshore drogue, with 150 foot 40,000 lbs line, shackles, and bridal system for hooking up to rear stern cleats *
Dinghy & Accessories
- 9 foot Walker Bay dinghy, 6HP 2 stroke engine, bored out carburetor producing 8HP, makes for a very light engine to lift (2 strokes will not cause problems when cruising in southern latitudes as 4 strokes do, plus almost half the weight) *
- Dinghy towing system, dinghy can be safely towed in rough weather (won’t flip over or rip bow eyelet out) *
- Boom pulley system for lifting dinghy engine *
- Tool kit plus tools specifically for Yanmar
- Spare parts, fuses, bulbs etc.
- Sea BBQ, brand new *
- Bosuns chair, brand new *
- 2 deep sea fishing rods, rod holders and tackle box with tackle *
Performance Cruiser/Racer, which basically means, it’s fast at getting from point to point, but also has all the comforts.
Black Diamond has sailed non-stop offshore from New York City harbor to Jacksonville Florida in 5 days, from NYC to Georgetown Bahamas in 7 days and Fort Lauderdale to Charleston in 2 days.
She is a proven ocean cruiser and ocean racer, excellent in rough conditions, tracks perfectly in 50+ knots of wind in excess of 35’ swells. The deep bulb keel adds stability on the ocean or during rough weather on the Great Lakes. We have cruised the Thousand Islands, in Lake Ontario and the shallow banks of the Bahamas and the slightly deeper draft of this boat did not hinder our experience or enjoyment in any way!
This boat is the two cabin layout, rather than the three cabin version. Often a third cabin ends up being used for much needed storage anyways. Instead, this boat has a very large storage room, complete with a built in tool chest and shelving unit. The boat’s Raymarine CPU and 2,000 watt inverter charger is also neatly stored here, with room for an inboard generator.
Black Diamond’s cabins are also larger as a result of this layout, and the head (bathroom) is very spacious with a full separate glass shower. There is a teak bench in the shower, if showering under way you can have a seat while washing up. There is linen closet/storage area in the bathroom for towels, linens and toiletries. These features are hard to find in even much larger yachts.
The forward V-berth cabin has almost a queen size bed, with a king size bed in the aft, each of the cabins have their own closets and wardrobe area, shoe storage, and lots of room for cosmetics and other odds and ends. There is stand-up room throughout the boat of 6 foot 5 inches, this includes the shower, plus forward and aft cabins.
The salon boasts a large dinette table that converts to a double berth, and an additional single berth to the port side. In total, the boat can sleep 7 adults, not including an additional 2 berths in the cockpit if the weather is nice and you really want to squeeze them in. The best arrangement is 2 adults in the forward cabin, 2 adults in the aft cabin, and room for an additional couple of adults in the salon or 2-4 children.
The large dinette table in the salon can comfortably seat 7 for a sit down dinner. There is an additional table in the cockpit that can seat 4-6 adults for a meal or cocktails. The salon’s seating is very comfortable for just relaxing and enjoying a DVD movie on the 20″ flat screen TV with surround sound. The boat is also equipped with a Globex Antenna that can tune in up to 150 HD TV channels. To round off the entertainment system, the standard FM stereo, has an iPod/iPhone hook up. The XM satellite radio is pre-paid with a lifetime membership of over 200 channels including, CNN, Comedy Network, Jazz, Classics, latest HITs and channels from all decades.
A WiFi booster is installed on the mast, with a personal router. It will catch WiFi signals from up to 8 miles away, and provide internet on the boat through your own personal Black Diamond WiFi, that your guests can log into.
The boat’s sound system is also audible in the cockpit, and can be switched to either the cockpit, salon, or both. Probably the coolest feature is the ability to watch movies in the cockpit on the chartplotter. This is especially handy on long overnight passages, or while just relaxing under the stars. If you’re anchored in the evening, and want to check your chartplotter, you don’t have to go up to the cockpit. The boat is equipped with a chartplotter keyboard and controls at the Nav station and can be view on the TV. There is a wireless remote control auto helm that can be used anywhere on the boat. You are able to steer and control the boat from the Nav station during offshore passages, while viewing critical data on the TV screen such as AIS, radar, depths etc. For those nice sunny days, you may be relaxing at the bow with your guests while underway, as you steer the boat from there as well.
The auto helm is oversized for the size of the boat. It can easily handle the boat in heavy seas and wind conditions. It will keep a course, or make subtle corrections as the wind shifts. The auto helm can also hold the boat head to wind and keep it in irons while you flake the main. There is also a neat safety feature, if you fall off the boat, the wireless pilot will bring the boat into irons immediately.
The galley (kitchen) boast lots of counter space, double sinks, hot/cold pressured water throughout the boat, a large fridge, ice machine, stove top with oven, microwave, BBQ, plus an additional freezer has been installed which only draws 1/2 amp. There is plenty of food storage space, enough for an eight week extended cruise or a non-stop passage if needed. (enough for crossing the Atlantic.)
There is plenty of electrical power & charging available on board to enjoy 14 consecutive days or more at anchor, with 5 batteries on board, 4 large capacity house AGM sealed batteries – storing 440 amp hours, a 2000 watt inverter which powers the microwave, even at anchor. There are 12 volt sockets as well as two 110 volt plugs in each cabin (2 in the galley and 2 in the salon, which can be used to power various other items). If the batteries run low, just power up using the 40HP diesel motor, that is equipped with a 180amp alternator that will charge up the batteries within about an hour and provide immediate power as needed.
Just about everything on the boat is powered, and automated, including an electric windlass for hauling in the anchor remotely. You don’t have to worry about raising the 60 foot main manually as this boat is also equipped with an electric winch, and roller furling.
The cockpit can seat 10-12 adults. The table is large enough for 4-6 adults to enjoy a meal, with an integrated ice box for cooling drinks. The dual helm arrangement opens up the cockpit for easy walk through. The cockpit has a full enclosure to protect from the elements, with windows that can be completely rolled up, or bug nets can be left in if needed.
The DSC Digital VHF Radio, with repeating ram mic is at the helm with additional handheld VHF radios that are great for going ashore and wondering around town, while still being able to communicate with your “mother ship”. It also acts as an additional VHF back up.
The attractive blue LED deck spreader lights adds evening mood lighting, plus acts as a safety feature for working on the deck at night, without losing your night vision. At times, large freighters may not see you, just turn on the blue spreader lights and you are clearly visible. You’ll never again lose your boat in a busy anchorage!
The blue LED underwater stern lights add “bling-bling” in the evening at the dock or at anchor. They attract many fish, which are a delight to enjoy.
The 40 horsepower Yanmar diesel has an upgraded engine fan for odorless operation. A special oil filter removes metal fragments. The engine is well maintained and all maintenance and oil changes have been performed regularly.
There is a well-stocked inventory of spare parts aboard including spare alternators, fuel pumps, filters, impellers, bulbs, fuses, hoses, tool kit etc.
The 180amp ElectroMaax alternator, will generate all power needed for 24 hours on the hook under full use, by running the engine for one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening.
All in all, an excellent boat, well maintained, just about everything you can imagine is already installed on the boat. We did not install wind or solar, because we would occasionally racer her, and did not want the obstruction or weight onboard. We did not need an inboard generator or water maker, because our Bahamas cruising was only for a few months over a couple of winters, for no longer than a month at a time. She spent five of her seven years in fresh water on the Great Lakes. She is an excellent family cruiser, Caribbean explorer and around the buoys or ocean racer.
The rear transom boasts a swim platform, ladder and hot and cold running water, so you can rinse the salt and sand off before boarding the boat from the beach.