Delayed 2 days at the Tappanzee Bridge.
Delayed at the Tappanzee Bridge
We picked up Paul Thornton at the airport this morning. (Paul, is Roxanne’s uncle, A Professional Marine Electrician and seasoned sailor. Paul sailed this route many times, completed Atlantic crossings, and a Pacific Crossing to Hawaii in a TransPac race, Paul is also the official technician for Spirit of Canada.) We are very fortunate to have Paul along with us for this voyage.
We spent the day completing the remaining items on my to do list. We installed the Sat radio and tested all the equipment. After returning the car rental, we thought we were ready to set off. However, we realized the tide was too low and the boat was sitting near the bottom, we were told there is a 1 foot lip that we would not make it over just at the mouth of the harbour. While waiting for high tide, a large low pressure system set in, and we were now sitting in 35 knot winds, low visibility, 5 foot waves and white caps right in the Hudson river. It was decided that we would spent the night, and leave in the morning.
DAY 4 – Delayed due to the weather.
We awoke in the morning to a down pour of rain, 30 knot winds, the weather forecast was showing the situation worsening. The Sirus Satellite weather system we have installed in the boat was reporting 60 knot winds offshore in the Ocean. We called down to Liberty Landing Marina and discovered they charge $160 per night for our size boat. We thought it best to spend one more night at Petersen’s at no charge, then run the risk of being stuck at Liberty Landing at that price. We are now planning on leaving tomorrow morning. If we have to spend a night at Liberty Landing tomorrow again due to the weather, I think the budget can sustain that.
After breakfast, we watched a nice comedy on the boat, had a great laugh with the guys. We are going to walk into town now, pick up a few more supplies, and upload this blog.